Iwata lph400 lvx problems

and solutions.

Moderator: Hub

Iwata lph400 lvx problems

Postby trackhead » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:39 am

I'm new here but come here often just to read the forums as there is some helpful info here. I'll cut to the chase so try to stay with me. I recently bought 2 brand new Iwata LPH400 1.3 tip. Got the air cap for spraying clear. The orange for base coat and the purple for metallics and pearls.

So I am having to paint a hood for a Tahoe. Going Olympic White. Spraying PPG's Shopline. Let me remind you that this is the first time ever spraying with these guns.

It seemed I just could not get enough fluid to come out. I tried adjusting the inlet air from 15psi up to 25psi. Narrowed the fan then wide open. So needless to say with the fan not all the way open but almost. Fluid all the way out. I just couldn't get it wet. I was having to get about 4 inches away to only get 4 inches of it wet and the rest of the pattern dry moving about 1ft in 2.5 to 3 secs. Rediculously slow! Any further back than 4 inches would just be dry spray. I thought it might be that the tip was not big enough. So then I got my Devilbiss finishline and put 1.8 tip in it. Still would not spray right. So ok the paint must be to thick. So then I thought the paint store might not have put enough reducer in it if any at all. I ran out of paint and the store didn't want to help me figure it out. In a nutshell told me I was a backyard painter so wasn't worried about little 'ol me. Told him he wouldn't have to worry about me coming back. Then he wanted to help. Told him no thanks after he basically insulted me.

Then I went and bought Nason BC and Clear. Reduced myself. After letting hood dry and sanded it down from all the dry spray. I tried again.
Again the same thing! Crap! Just would not get wet. Finally I got enough on there to get covered to clear. Hope not streaky when I get in the sun. I called a buddy to spray the clear and tell me what he thought. He came and it did pretty good. It was wet. Still having to move a little slow. He sprayed the 1st and 2nd coat. I sprayed the 3rd so could have some extra to sand and buff. He put a little sag or two in it but no biggie. I still figured it would put out a little more.

So bottom line. Whats goin on?
Not nearly enough base coming out. These guns have to good a rep to spray like this.
trackhead
LPH-50

Postby SprayTech » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:55 am

I Shoot PPG's DBC all day long with a 1.4 in my LPH 400 LV & LVB guns with no problems . I had a 1.3 in the LVB gun and had serious dry problems with the base too , no matter what I tried , and once I switched and dialed them in ( with the 1.4 needle ) , made a world of difference ! Been shooting them for 3 years now with no problems .

I shot a complete Duct work vacuum truck this week in Single Stage Shopline Urethane ( Victory Red ) with my W 400 converted to a LPH 400 LV 1.4 and laid out very nice . I would of used my LPH 400 LV 1.4 gun but I only shoot clear through it .

I find a 1.3 needle to be to small for PPG's products as they are pretty thick viscosity even when reduced . I think you would benefit from going to a 1.4 needle :)
SprayTech
LPH-100

Postby J87gtmd » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:28 pm

If your using the standard cup and lid on your spray gun, the little choke hole in the lid might be clogged.
If your using pps, ive found with some thicker products, that removing the screen in the lid and just straining the paint helps sometimes.
Dont know if either of those could be a possibility for you but just an idea
J87gtmd
LPH-50

Postby trackhead » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:46 am

J87gtmd wrote:If your using the standard cup and lid on your spray gun, the little choke hole in the lid might be clogged.
If your using pps, ive found with some thicker products, that removing the screen in the lid and just straining the paint helps sometimes.
Dont know if either of those could be a possibility for you but just an idea

Yeah my very first pass I found that to be one of my problems. I got it cleared. Some of the plastic was still in there. You reckon I ought to try to bore it out alittle more?
trackhead
LPH-50

ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE HOLE

Postby Hub » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:14 am

Hello Track,
Its ok to enlarge the atmospheric pressure hole - BUT - don't be too aggressive - 7/64 or 1/8 is large enough. Paint drips are not fun. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
"HUB" :)
Hub
Air Authority

test

Postby trackhead » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:31 am

OK I did a little test tonight. First I started just started by spraying some thinner through the guns. Looked like it was spraying well. So put in some Nason Full-Base B/C Olympic White reduced 1 to 1. Spraying with about 17 psi. 6 inches away spraying on some cardboard. 1.3 tip

First the silver cap - 12 inch pattern. Only wet about 5 inches out of the 12 in the middle

Second the orange cap - Only 4 inches wet out of a 12 inch pattern

Third the purple cap - Worked best of all. About 8 inches wet.

Hub does this seem right? Kinda hard to tell on cardboard. Gonna spray some real test panels this week.
trackhead
LPH-50

Postby J87gtmd » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:53 am

Something else to try, open your built in regulator up all the way on the gun and use the wall mounted regulator or put one on the gun so that the built in one can stay open and you use the other one to regulate the air.
Somebody correct me if im wrong but i think these guns spray best when the regulator is full open.
J87gtmd
LPH-50

Postby J87gtmd » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:05 am

Something else to try, open your built in regulator up all the way on the gun and use the wall mounted regulator or put one on the gun so that the built in one can stay open and you use the other one to regulate the air.
Somebody correct me if im wrong but i think these guns spray best when the regulator is full open.
J87gtmd
LPH-50

Postby SprayTech » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:31 am

I just tried out the LVX cap on my 2 LPH 400's w/ 1.4 needles today and had no problems at all .
Sprayed PPG's DAS sealer , DBC base ( 1:1 ) with one that has the LVB cap I normally use for base , and clear with my other LPH 400 1.4 that I only use for clearing , and came out very nice .
Also Sprayed some PPG's DPS Primer with my W 400 1.4 I converted to an LPH and it sprayed it with no problems .
I use the 3M PPS cup & liner system , but i hardly think the factory cup is the problem .
Color was PPG # 5377 , Pewter Metallic , which is a very popular color on GM trucks .

http://gallery.me.com/dwilliams53#100006

This is the job I shot with the LVX w/ both guns today , pics arent the best as they are pixelated from my phone .
SprayTech
LPH-100

Postby trackhead » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:14 pm

SprayTech wrote:I just tried out the LVX cap on my 2 LPH 400's w/ 1.4 needles today and had no problems at all .
Sprayed PPG's DAS sealer , DBC base ( 1:1 ) with one that has the LVB cap I normally use for base , and clear with my other LPH 400 1.4 that I only use for clearing , and came out very nice .
Also Sprayed some PPG's DPS Primer with my W 400 1.4 I converted to an LPH and it sprayed it with no problems .
I use the 3M PPS cup & liner system , but i hardly think the factory cup is the problem .
Color was PPG # 5377 , Pewter Metallic , which is a very popular color on GM trucks .

http://gallery.me.com/dwilliams53#100006

This is the job I shot with the LVX w/ both guns today , pics arent the best as they are pixelated from my phone .

Looks nice man. I ordered my 1.4 nozzle couple days ago. I am still thinking that my 1.3 was to small. My wife picked it up today and when I came home. It was just the nozzle and not the needle with it. Is that how it comes and you use the same needle.

And has anyone ever sprayed with a 1.5 in the LPH400?
trackhead
LPH-50

Postby SprayTech » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:54 pm

You dont need to buy a fluid nozzle , just the 1.4 needle as Hub said the 1.3 , 1.4 & the 1.5 needles are interchangeable with one fluid nozzle in the LPH 400 's .
I switched out my 1.3 needle to the new 1.4 needle and as you can see it shoots just fine :)
When I ordered my 2nd LPH 400 LVB I made the mistake on the 1.3 and had some of the same results you are having , and the 1.4 needle changed it to my liking !
SprayTech
LPH-100

Postby trackhead » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:12 am

SprayTech wrote:You dont need to buy a fluid nozzle , just the 1.4 needle as Hub said the 1.3 , 1.4 & the 1.5 needles are interchangeable with one fluid nozzle in the LPH 400 's .
I switched out my 1.3 needle to the new 1.4 needle and as you can see it shoots just fine :)
When I ordered my 2nd LPH 400 LVB I made the mistake on the 1.3 and had some of the same results you are having , and the 1.4 needle changed it to my liking !

Wait I'm a little cinfused. I just paid $92.00 for this nozzle. And now that I sit here and put them side by side they look the same size. But one says 13 and the other 14. I thought the hole in the nozzle is what made the difference of the fluid coming out not the needle.
trackhead
LPH-50

Postby SprayTech » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:20 am

supposedly thats the cool thing about Iwata's , just change needles from what hub told me , I hope he reads this and confirms this or sets me straight , but thats what I was told and did , and my gun I switched out the 1.3 needle to a 1.4 needle sprays exceptional .

It used to be you had to buy a needle and fluid nozzle to switch sizes on all guns .

Might PM hub and find out for sure , there is a post around here thats about 2-3 years old where he mentioned it to me .
SprayTech
LPH-100

Postby trackhead » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:00 am

I'll call the Iwata Tech monday. Another question. If this gun calls for 9.5 cfm and my compressor says it will put out 8.6 scfm @ 40psi and 6.4 scfm @ 90 psi. Is this a problem?
trackhead
LPH-50

Postby SprayTech » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:41 am

It could be a problem ,you may have to let catch up with you on bigger panels , I used to get by with the old conventional siphon Devilbiss and a cheap 20 gallon craftsman air compressor 25 years ago , but it was a struggle .

CFM , tank size , duty cycle , HP , all have a bearing on an air compressor .
SprayTech
LPH-100

Next

Return to Spray gun painting problems