what air cap?

technique.

Moderator: Hub

what air cap?

Postby big john » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:20 am

I know that the orange and purple caps are designed for basecoat, and
that the purple cap is designed for the difficult colors. Is there a rule of thumb as to when you should use the purple cap? How will you know if
the orange cap is not spraying the base properly? I am considering purchasing the purple cap. I have a Sata 2000NR that I use for some high
metallic or pearl base colors, but would rather just use the Iwata. I have the LPH400 with 1.3 orange cap, and an LPH 400 with 1.4 silver cap for clear. Also what kind of results would you expect if you used the orange
or purple cap for clear? more orange peel or less? too much film build or not enough? I use Dupont 72200 or HC7600 clears
big john
LPH-50

Postby Lonnie1952 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:08 am

The Orange cap...LVX does a Great Job Spraying metallic and base
The purple cap ...LVB is for Candies Pearls and Super hard metallic Like Silver. It puts out a wider pattern with a little less pressure to eliminate Tiger stripes. It just makes it easier to spray those hard to spray colors and to help MATCH colors in spot repairs.
As for the LVB cap for clear ? It may work But they Designed the Chrome LV cap for clear.....But it May Atomize a little TOO well for bases and that makes it hard to Factory match colors.
Use the LV......SILVER cap for clear
Iwata did their homework and really made the LPH400 a One Gun Show
OK that is My 2 cents :roll:
Last edited by Lonnie1952 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lonnie1952
LPH-50

Postby Andy T » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:13 pm

If it were me, and I had both caps, I'd start off with the orange one as it's much faster, and will lay down your first couple of coats much more quickly. If you find the base isn't laying how you want it to, then switch to the purple cap for your final coat(s)
Andy T
LPH-100

Which cap ?????? - why????

Postby Hub » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:39 am

Hi BJ,
Thank you for your visit and question.
The three air caps are designed to function on the LPH400LV. They all have engineered atomization, each cap designed to produce a specific partical size.

The LVC aka LV4 is best for general purpose and is especially good for clear.

The LVB is a specialty cap designed to spray the most difficult colors that contain special affect toners, lenticular, silver dollar and the like metallics and micas. The LVB also requires some special settings and spray techniques. An LVB Operating manual comes with each LVB cap or gun.
Follow the instructions in the OM for gun set up and spray technique and you'll be very happy with the results.

The LVX is great for spraying 95+% of metallics and micas. It has great engineered atomization, a wide wet line spray pattern that makes it very easy to use and very forgiving. Although the LVX was designed for metallic/micas there is a growing number of technicians that are using it for clear on Mercedes, BMW and others. The object is to return the auto to the pre-collision condition and the LVX lays out the clear that matches the original finish. That means no rub time.

All three air cap spray non Metallics just fine.

All suggested fluid nozzle / air cap combinations, inlet air pressure and spray techniques are a starting point reference only and not meant to imply other combinations and techniques would not work.
Cheers,
"HUB" :)
Hub
Air Authority

Postby big john » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:20 am

thanks to all for the info. I think I will check into getting the purple cap.
Could you use it for all base coat colors. I am in no hurry as long as the results are satisfactory. Does the orange cap leave a smoother clear, or
more orange peel. I have a 1.3 and a 1.4 needle. same air pressure
big john
LPH-50

CHOICES & CHOISES

Postby Hub » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:02 am

BJ,
You are welcome. Yes if you follow the LVB OM Instruction.

The silver cap (LV4) is best for clear.

When using the 1.4mm FN i'd bump up the inlet pressure a pound or three remember the person pulling the trigger bares some responsibility for the final finish.

Cheers,
"HUB" :)
Hub
Air Authority

Postby nzgrip » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:44 am

I've seen it mentioned on here before that you use the LVB cap for candies, would that be basecoat candies or urethane candies? I'm guessing basecoat candies as i would have thought urethane candies would be the same as spraying clear and therefor not suited to the LVB?
nzgrip
LPH-50

Postby Yamaha236 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:20 am

Im kind of in the same boat here. I too have recently bought an LPH400LVB after using an NR2000 for a lot of years. I have trouble deciding when to use the purple cap. When you say use it for the tricky ones with lenticular or silver dollar or micas in it, what exactly does that mean? Most all of the base I shoot, mostly GM and Honda, have whats called popcorn met, large, med, and small met. A lot of my bases use a clear binder with powder pearls and the metallics in them. Are these toners good ones for the LVB cap?
Dave 236
Yamaha236
LPH-50

Return to Spraying